Director of Finance and Operations
June 28, 2022
Farmworker Justice (“FJ”) is a national non-profit organization dedicated to empowering farmworkers to improve immigration policy, wages and working conditions, occupational safety, health and access to justice. FJ engages in legislative and administrative advocacy, public education, capacity-building of community-based organizations, and impact litigation, frequently in collaboration with other organizations.
Description of Position
This position exists to execute, improve and streamline the organization’s operations. This includes managing the financial operations of the organization, developing and carrying out the organization’s HR policies and practices, and ensuring compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements to maintain the organization’s non-profit status and tax exemption status. This position is responsible for identifying and executing ways to improve and streamline the organization’s operations strategy.
- Oversee the day-to-day responsibilities of the Admin Team including finance accounting, payroll, budgeting, financial compliance, human resources recruiting, policies/procedures, HR compliance, benefits, risk management, legal matters, and facilities.
- Lead and develop Admin team, including an Operations Coordinator and a Staff Accountant.
- Contribute to the development and execution of the organizational strategy as an integral member of the Management Team.
- Communicate effectively with the Board of Directors, ensuring all Board members clearly understand the organization’s financial health and sustainability.
- Serve as a lead and supporting member to the Board Finance and Audit Committees.
- Serve as financial advisor to the CEO, Management Team, Program Team and Board, providing recommendations and creating short-term and a long-term strategy for financial stability based on strategic financial analysis, forecasting, and modeling.
- Oversee and manage all finance functions, including accounting, internal controls, reconciliations, journal entries, payroll, monthly close procedures, and other regularly recurring financial operations.
- Lead the preparation of the annual budget and multi-year budgets aligned with our strategic goals, training staff on budgeting as needed and effectively communicating overall budget to full staff.
- Build business models and forecasting tools that allow for long-term scenario planning and real-time decision making, and that maximize impact and revenue.
- Manage resources and oversee business operations in accordance with the approved budget.
- Lead the annual audit, liaising with external auditors and accountants to ensure compliance, including leading preparation and filing of the annual financial statements and tax form 990.
- Ensure the integrity, accuracy and usefulness of all financial reports, including budget-to-actuals and financial reports for the Board, funders, government agencies, internal decision-makers and for grants-management processes, including the tracking of restricted funds.
- With Operations Coordinator, negotiate, monitor, and manage all external vendors and banking needs.
- Ensure best business practices, including fiscal and human resource compliance with federal, state, and local agency requirements.
- Drive operational excellence across the organization, evaluating, refining, creating and/or supporting systems and processes to ensure efficiency and effectiveness as we grow in size and complexity.
- With Operations Coordinator, provide technology resources and support for staff.
- Oversee and evaluate financial management, HR/benefits and technology vendors systems and processes
- With Operations Coordinator, oversee office administration, space planning and partnerships, relocations, and disaster planning.
- Manage relationship with the external payroll company, including workplace notice requirements, wage and hour compliance, and related federal, state, and city labor law compliance.
- Oversee hiring and staffing of full and part time roles as well as performance management systems and processes, and professional development design, onboarding, and training.
- Ensure compensation packages are evaluated regularly and adjusted as peer benchmarks demand.
- Oversee benefits administration and provided-hoc employee relations support.
Education, Experience, and Knowledge
- Advanced degree in business, accounting, non-profit management or related field (MBA preferred)
- 6+ years’ experience managing staff and financial processes
- Experience with accounting system software implementation and MS Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Google Suite; experience using QuickBooks or similar accounting software is required and Salesforce is a plus.
- Has experience working in the non-profit sector in a leadership or managerial capacity.
- Excellent resource management and decision-making skills; able to develop solutions by applying sound judgment with limited supervision
- Attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Understanding of key business functions such as HR, Finance, Fundraising, Compliance, and Office Management
- Proficiency in English and good communication skills required. Proficiency in Spanish and/or other second language preferred
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is: $ 90,000 – $105,000 based on experience. This is a full-time, exempt position based in Washington, DC; however, due to COVID-19 precautions, the position will be remote until it is deemed safe to return to the office.
FJ offers a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, generous PTO and paid holidays, and a 403b retirement program.
FJ requires all employees and ongoing-volunteers with in-person role responsibilities to be “up to date” with their COVID-19 vaccinations prior to the start of their in-person role. “Up to date” entails receiving a full vaccine course and at least one booster shot if eligible. Specific deadlines and details will be communicated directly to candidates during the interview process. Candidates in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason or because of a sincerely held religious belief will be considered.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Position open until filled. Interested applicants please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: “Director of Finance and Operations”.
Farmworker Justice is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Information about our organization is available at www.farmworkerjustice.org.