DIRECTOR OF IMMIGRATION AND LABOR RIGHTS
May 18, 2021
Farmworker Justice (“FJ”) is a national non-profit organization dedicated to empowering farmworkers to improve immigration policy, wages and working conditions, occupational safety, health and access to justice. FJ engages in legislative and administrative advocacy, public education, capacity-building of community-based organizations, and
impact litigation, frequently in collaboration with other organizations. The large majority of the nation’s farmworkers – people who labor on farms and ranches – are immigrants. Immigration policy and employment laws continue to deprive many farmworkers and their family members of the opportunity to thrive.
Description of Position
The Director of Immigration and Labor Rights will:
- lead the organization’s work in the areas of immigration policy and labor rights and will report to the President/CEO
- monitor and analyze policy developments affecting farmworkers and their family members at the federal and state levels
- disseminate information to farmworker-serving organizations, policymakers and the public
- maintain and develop relationships with farmworker organizations, public interest legal services organizations, immigrant rights coalitions, labor unions, worker centers and other partners
- be responsible for legislative advocacy and administrative advocacy
- supervise the Staff Attorney – Immigration and collaborate on supervising a Legal Fellow, interns and others as needed, and collaborate with other staff on a range of activities.
This position is located in Washington, D.C. During the pandemic, all FJ staff are teleworking full-time. Staff will be expected to work at the office and attend meetings when it is safe to do so, but not before.
- At least 5 years of experience as an attorney, including at least 2 years of supervisory or management experience
- Experience engaging in policy analysis and advocacy, knowledge of federal legislative and administrative policy processes, and knowledge of immigration and/or labor rights
- Exceptional analytical, writing, speaking and organizational skills, with strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in effective collaborations internally and externally.
- Strong commitment to civil and human rights and social justice for farmworkers and other low-wage immigrant workers and their families.
- Substantive knowledge of farmworker issues preferred, including but not limited to, familiarity with the H-2A agricultural worker visa program.
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or other second language preferred.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package, including health insurance, generous leave and retirement plan.
Application period ends when position filled.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Farmworker Justice is an equal opportunity employer and acts on its belief that diversity and inclusion are critical to our success. Farmworker Justice does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.