MINNESOTA - Workers’ Rights

Definition of agricultural worker under state law:

Wages and Overtime

Minimum Wage



State Enforcement Agency

For wages, overtime and unlawful deductions:
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry – Labor Standards Division

Website: https://www.dli.mn.gov/laborlaw
Phone:  651-284-5075 (se habla espanol; interpreters available in other languages)
Relevant Forms: https://www.dli.mn.gov/workers/worker-rights-and-protection/complaints

For migrant labor laws:
Minnesota Office of the Attorney General

Phone: (651) 757-1203 (se habla español) or (800) 657-3787
Website: http://www.ag.state.mn.us/
Relevant Forms: https://www.ag.state.mn.us/Office/Complaint.asp

Occupational Safety and Health

Workers’ Compensation

State Enforcement Agency:
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry

Website: https://www.dli.mn.gov/business/workers-compensation/work-comp-claim-process

Field Sanitation

State Enforcement Agency:
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry – MN OSHA Compliance

Website:  https://www.dli.mn.gov/about-department/our-areas-service/minnesota-osha-compliance

Federal Enforcement Agency:
US DOL, OSHA – Minnesota Office

Website: https://www.osha.gov/contactus/bystate/MN/areaoffice

Pesticide Safety

State Enforcement Agency:
MN Department of Agriculture, Pesticide and Fertilizer Management Division 

Website: https://www.mda.state.mn.us/pesticide-fertilizer/pesticide-overview
Complaint Line:  651-201-6333 or 800-422-0798 (after hours for non-emergencies)
Complaint Form: https://www.mda.state.mn.us/pesticide-fertilizer/pesticide-and-fertilizer-misuse-complaint-form

Right to Join Unions and Collective Bargaining in Agriculture

State Legal Services Organizations

Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services – Agricultural Worker Project